I first heard about this contest through my friend, Janet, who encouraged me (repeatedly!) to enter. She was even kind enough to loan me some of her MFT stamps, one of which was a cute little mummy-child.
When I was younger, my family and I took a trip to Egypt. We got to spend a week visiting the pyramids, seeing tombs, and viewing the rich history of the culture. It remains one of the most memorable experiences of my life.
Mummies, therefore, always remind me of my trip to Egypt…even cute little Halloween children images of mummies. So my first thought was to use this little guy for a card for my mom. Cute as he is though, I didn’t want him on the front of my non-Halloween card. I’m just a traditional nut job like that.
Enter, gauze. Being fresh out of cheesecloth, I raided the first aide supplies. I have every intention of restocking later…hopefully before the next disaster rather than after. A word to the wise: if you’re going to try this at home, don’t use multi medium matte to seal over the top of the gauze. Or maybe do, if that’s what you want. But take it from someone who tried that: it may give the gauze a great “permanent” texture, but it won’t be as soft or – dare I say it – feminine as leaving the top side be.
I wanted a lot of texture so I stretched the gauze along the long side and pulled the narrow sides apart a bit, roughing the weaving up in areas with my fingers. I also added a lot of ripples and bubbled areas to the gauze as I was gluing it down to give it even more texture and dimension.
For the glue, I spread a pretty decent layer of Multi Medium Matte over the card mat (I did not apply the gauze directly to my card base as I figured it would need some additional support). If your layer of glue is too thin, it won’t end up holding the gauze to the cardstock once it dries. Speaking of drying… work in sections or your glue might be dry before you finish…
For the labels, I smeared the edges through Versamark and applied gold embossing power. I wanted the front to be reminiscent of our trip to Egypt, so I found a hieroglyph-like font and typed up a few of the dingbat images to create a sentiment strip. [Funny side note; we actually have a printer that uses wax instead of ink to print. Little did I realize, when I went to heat the embossing power along the edges, the wax melted a bit which gave it the appearance of a stamped design rater than the strong, crisp black of the printer. I like how it ended up looking; it seems older this way.]
You were beginning to wonder where the cute little mummy-child was, weren’t you? Well, here he is, carrying a translated plaque of the hieroglyph sentiment. I brought in a dark full-mat color for the inside because I liked the unexpectedness of it after all the gold and it also served to tie in the darker color of the sentiment on the front. I colored the mummy-child with some Copics because leaving him white seemed too stark for the dark background and also gave him an aged look. I think I need to work on rosying cheeks, though…
Thanks for looking!
P.S. Please forgive the photos. I was in a rush to get them done…
Stamps: Pure Innocence Mummy (My Favorite Things)
Dies: Designer Label Stax #3, Pure Innocence Mummy (My Favorite Things)
Cardstock: Stamper’s Select White, Smokey Shadow (Papertrey Ink)
Ink: Versamark, Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Copics: E00, R20, T1, T3
Accents: Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Gold Lame (American Crafts), Perfect Pearls Mist in Gold (Ranger), Gold Embossing Power (Hampton Art), Metallic Thread (Gutermann), Black Rhinestones
Other: Multi Medium Matte (Ranger), Rolled Gauze, Egyptian Silhouettes Font, Gyptienne Font